If you want to make delicious cakes and savoury bakes at home but don’t know where to start… This is the course for you! We are running a 6 week baking course covering a wide range of techniques and recipes to ensure you will complete the course with bags of confidence in the kitchen!
Each session will be 2.5 hours long and you will learn something different every week. At the end of this course you’ll be well versed in the making and baking of a wide range of savoury and sweet treats!
Classes will be held on the below dates from 10am – 12.30pm (you should be available for all dates):
Friday 24th January
Friday 31st January
Friday 7th February
Friday 14th February
Friday 21st February
Friday 28th February
Techniques you will learn:
- Learn how ingredients work, why is your bread good one day and not good the next? Let our resident chef show you how to produce consistently good bread.
- Learn how to shape bread dough and bake to perfection.
- What signs to look for to judge when bread is proved and how to produce a crispy crust yet light and airy crumb.
- Savoury Short Pastry (quiche)
- Learn how to make, rest, roll, blind bake, crimp and glaze short crust pastry.
- Prepare the fillings for and make two excellent savoury quiches.
- Sweet Pastry (Bakewell Tart)
- How to expertly make, rest, roll and blind bake the perfect sweet pastry shell.
- You will also acquire the skills to make an amazing bakewell filling and topping.
- Choux Pastry (Chocolate Eclairs/Profiteroles)
- You will make fluffy light choux pastry cases, dip them in a dark chocolate fondant and fill with a delicious vanilla whipped cream using a piping bag to make the classic chocolate éclair/profiteroles.
- Cakes and Hot Sponges (Victoria Sandwich and Steamed Sponge)
- Creaming and mixing the ingredients for a Victoria Sandwich. Lining a sponge tin/preparing moulds, cooking temperatures and how to decorate your delicious sponge.
- Hot Water Pastry and Puff Pastry (Pork and Black Pudding Sausage Rolls and Raised Pork Pie)
- Making and working with hot water pastry to make a delicious and impressive pork pie.
- How to work with hot water and puff pastry.
- Making a mix for and baking flavoursome sausage rolls.
Full recipes, including ingredients list and method, are provided for you to take home to add to your repertoire so you can keep on cooking them time and time again
What you can take home:
There is a tasting session after each class where you have the chance to sample the tutor’s version of the dish.
Please note that you do not need to bring any equipment or ingredients with you as this will be provided by the cookery school and is included in the cost. However, you will need to bring a couple of sizeable (minimum 1L) food storage containers to take your food home in.
Tea and coffee are provided throughout on all of our classes.
If you’d like to make an enquiry before making a booking please check our FAQ section, and if the answer to your query isn’t there, email us on email@example.com and we’ll get back to you within two working days. If you’d like to call us please do so on 0113 323 7700 and if the phone is unmanned please leave a message with your contact number. We’ll aim to get back to you within two working days.
Bookings are closed for this event.