Come to Leeds Cookery School to recreate the North’s newest classic dish – the Teesside Chicken Parmo! This humble, no-holds-barred masterpiece of fried chicken, béchamel sauce and cheddar cheese is a proud speciality of takeaways across the North East.
The dish achieved notoriety nationwide after wowing the judges of BBC’s MasterChef UK, and we have the man himself – Newcastle-born chef Anthony O’Shaughnessy – presenting this exclusive masterclass.
During this session, Anthony will share insight into the origin story behind this North East classic, along with executing the fundamental cooking techniques in creating the perfect Chicken Parmo in your own kitchen.
Techniques you will learn:
- Flawless Béch’ – How to make the perfect béchamel sauce from scratch. We will demonstrate how to build upon a classic béchamel recipe to make exciting variations of the Chicken Parmo.
- The Perfect Crumb – We’ll guide you through the process of breading, seasoning and frying chicken to guarantee the crispiest and most satisfying results! We’ll share insights into the science underlying deep-frying and making the perfect fried chicken.
- Picnic-Perfect Coleslaw – We will teach you the art of coleslaw. We’ll equip you with everything you need to create the picnic-perfect balance of crunchiness, sweetness and tang – a coleslaw so good it will blow your picnic blanket away!
- Killer Ketchup – Our demonstrator will create his signature Beetroot Ketchup that pairs famously with a Chicken Parmo. We will demonstrate the fundamentals of creating a well-balanced, smooth and glossy ketchup at home. Our demonstrator will also share a selection of alternative ketchup recipes which make perfect gifts for loved-ones or purely for your own dinner table!
Full recipes, including ingredients list and method, are provided for you to take home to add to your repertoire so you can keep on cooking them time and time again.
- The Classic Teesside Chicken Parmo (a ‘Hot Shot’ option will be available for the brave!).
- Pickled Red Cabbage Coleslaw.
- Beetroot Ketchup – Recipe variations will include Charred Red Pepper Ketchup, Mushroom Ketchup and a very intriguing Fiery Banana Ketchup.
What you can take home:
During the class you will get the chance to sample Anthony’s prepared dish. You will get to create and take home your very own Chicken Parmo made from scratch, along with your own portion of Pickled Red Cabbage Coleslaw.
You will also take home a sample of the demonstrator’s Beetroot Ketchup. You will also receive recipes and instructions for all of the dishes presented, including the variety of ketchups. We will provide you with a complimentary Parmo pizza box to transport your creation home.
Please note that you you will need to bring a sizeable (minimum 1L) food storage container to take your coleslaw home in, we will provide all other equipment and ingredients.
Tea and coffee are provided throughout on all of our classes.
If you’d like to make an enquiry before making a booking please check our FAQ section, and if the answer to your query isn’t there, email us on email@example.com and we’ll get back to you within two working days. If you’d like to call us please do so on 0113 323 7700 and if the phone is unmanned please leave a message with your contact number. We’ll aim to get back to you within two working days.