In this class, Anthony will impart his Scandinavian roots onto your home cooking with three wholesome, comforting dishes from Sweden.
You will be shown how to make authentic Swedish Meatballs (Köttbullar) with gravy (Gräddsås). You will make the beloved Swedish side dish, Jansson’s Temptation (Janssons Frestelse), a delectable, creamy gratin of matchstick potatoes and cured fish. To finish, you’ll create the staple treat of every coffeehouse up and down Sweden – Sticky Cake (Kladdkaka). This is a rich, sticky chocolate cake made with oats and lashed with fresh cream.
Anthony will give you plenty of hints and tips for creating real Scandinavian ambience at the dinner table with traditional customs, and with these Swedish dishes in your culinary repertoire, you’ll be able to make any Swede feel right at home!
Techniques you will learn:
- Authentic Swedish Meatballs – we will guide you towards executing the true balance of ingredients for the perfect Swedish meatball. We will also share exciting variations that reflect the various regional produce found around Sweden.
- Natural Blonde – we will give you the essential sauce skills and flavour knowledge to create ‘that’ luscious blonde gravy for your meatballs.
- Gratin Secrets – our host champions Jansson’s Temptation as Sweden’s easier answer to Gratin Dauphinoise! The skills and knowledge you learn through executing this dish will enable you to cheat a gratin potato dish at home with remarkable results.
- Fearless Baking – our host will guide you through this foolproof Swedish sticky cake recipe with plenty of troubleshooting and baking guidance along the way – you really cannot go wrong! You will also be furnished with tips and hints on how to add a Scandinavian twist to familiar British bakes.
- A Swedish Touch – During this class, Anthony will give you all the tips and tricks to create a true Swedish ambience at your dinner table. You will learn all about the Swedish table, traditional eating customs and how to dine and host like a Swede.
In this class the below recipes, including ingredients list and method, are provided for you to take home to add to your repertoire so you can keep on cooking them time and time again.
- Köttbullar (Swedish Meatballs)
- Gräddsås (Blonde Gravy)
- Janssons Frestelse (Jansson’s Temptation Potatoes)
- Kladdkaka (Sticky Chocolate Oat Cake)
What you can take home:
There is a tasting session after each class where you have the chance to sample the tutor’s version of each dish. You will also take home everything that you make.
You will need to bring a couple of sizeable (minimum 1L) food storage containers to take your food home in, all other equipment and ingredients are provided by the cookery school and are included in the cost.
Tea and coffee are provided throughout on all of our classes.
If you’d like to make an enquiry before making a booking please check our FAQ section, and if the answer to your query isn’t there, email us on firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get back to you within two working days. If you’d like to call us please do so on 0113 323 7700 and if the phone is unmanned please leave a message with your contact number. We’ll aim to get back to you within two working days.