6 Week Cooking Skills Course (Level 1)If you aspire to be a culinary all-rounder then this is for you, we are running a 6 week course covering a wide range of cooking techniques and recipes to ensure you will complete the course with bags of confidence in the kitchen!
Location:Leeds Cookery School, Leeds, UK
Cost:£350.00 per person
About this experience
If you aspire to be a culinary all-rounder then this is for you, we are running a 6 week course covering a wide range of cooking techniques and recipes to ensure you will complete the course with bags of confidence in the kitchen!
Each session will be 2.5 hours long and you will learn a new dish each session. At the end of this course you will be able to bake, boil, butcher and braise your way to culinary success.
Course dates are:
- Tuesday 7th September 6:30pm
- Tuesday 14th September 6:30pm
- Tuesday 21st September 6:30pm
- Tuesday 28th September 6:30pm
- Tuesday 5th October 6:30pm
- Tuesday 12th October 6:30pm
Techniques you will learn:
- Knife Skills – Vegetable Soba Noodle Stir Fry & Spring Rolls
- Learn how to correctly sharpen a knife.
- How to hold the knife safely and correctly.
- Rocking Chop and Cross Chop, useful for your everyday cooking.
- Chiffonard slicing technique.
- How to Julienne vegetables.
- Brunoise (fine dice).
- Pureeing with a knife.
- Making the Most of Chicken – basic butchery
- Learn how to bone and portion a whole chicken, butterfly and stuff the breasts.
- Discover the science and techniques behind marinating.
- Learn how to make an excellent stock for use in a range of dishes.
- Fresh Pasta with 3 Sauces, plus Italian bread
- How to make the perfect pasta dough using different flavours from scratch using the kneading and resting process.
- How to use a pasta machine and expertly roll, shape and dry your pasta for another day.
- How to make 3 excellent sauces – Arrabiata, Pesto and Carbonara
- Learn how to make an impressive Rosemary Focaccia.
- North Indian Curry
- Learn about spices and how to toast and temper spices to make a tarka to intensely season your dhal.
- Learn a quick and easy method to unlock the secrets of the cooking basmati rice to perfection.
- Make a stove top naan bread
- Fish Preparation
- How to bone, scale, skin and fillet a round fish.
- How to clean and prepare mussels, king prawns and squid.
- How to make a flavoursome fish stock.
- How to make sofrito (the tomato base for paella).
- Learn about the sourcing and sustainability of fish.
- Sweet Pastry
- How to expertly make, rest, roll and blind bake the perfect sweet pastry shell.
- Make an amazing Pear Frangipane with Crème Anglaise
Full recipes including ingredients and method are provided for you to take home to add to your repertoire so you can keep on cooking them time and time again.
What you can take home:
Please note that you do not need to bring any equipment or ingredients with you as this will be provided by the cookery school and is included in the cost. You will however need to bring a couple of sizeable (minimum 1L) food storage containers to take your food home in.
There is also a tasting session after each class where you have the chance to sample the tutor’s version of each dish.
Tea and coffee are provided throughout on all of our classes.