6 Week Cooking Skills Course (LEVEL 1)Our 6-week beginners cookery course covers a wide range of cooking techniques and recipes to guarantee confidence in the kitchen.
LocationLeeds Cookery School, Leeds, UK
Cost:£380.00 per person
About this experience
If you aspire to be a culinary all-rounder then our Level One 6-week Cookery Skills Course is for you! This course is designed for novice cooks looking to develop a wide range of cookery techniques to exercise at home*. You will leave the course with a repertoire of skills and recipes to ensure you have bags of confidence in the kitchen!
THE COURSE WILL CONSIST OF 6x 2.5-HOUR SESSIONS HELD AT THE SAME TIME EACH WEEK FOR SIX CONSECUTIVE WEEKS.
Each session will be 2.5 hours long and you will learn a new dish each session. At the end of this course you will be able to bake, boil, butcher and braise your way to culinary success at home!
Techniques you will learn:
KNIFE SKILLS AND STIR-FRYING
- Learn how to correctly sharpen and correctly use a cook's knife.
- Master various classical chopping techniques.
- Learn stir-frying techniques.
BASIC CHICKEN BUTCHERY
- Learn how to bone and portion a whole chicken, using all of the parts.
- Discover the science and techniques behind marinating meat.
- Learn how to make an excellent fresh stock for use in a range of dishes.
FRESH PASTA AND SEASONAL SAUCES
- How to make the perfect pasta dough using different flavours from scratch using the kneading and resting process.
- How to use a pasta machine and expertly roll, shape and dry your pasta for another day.
- Learn how to make an impressive Rosemary Focaccia.
CURRIES AND SPICE BLENDS
- Learn about spices and how to toast and temper them to intensely season a dish.
- Learn a simple, foolproof method to cooking basmati rice to perfection.
- Make a stove-top naan bread from scratch.
- Learn how to prepare meat-free dishes that boast exquisite flavour.
- How to bone, scale, skin and fillet a seasonal fish.
- Learn about the sourcing and sustainability of fish.
- Prepare a seasonal dish that makes the most of the catch of the day.
- How to expertly make, rest, roll and blind bake the perfect sweet pastry.
- Make an delectible sweet tart that makes the most fo seasonal produce.
Full recipes including ingredients and method are provided for you to take home to add to your repertoire.
All ingredients for the course will be provided by the cookery school. You will be preparing your own dishes to take home, so you will need to bring two sizeable (minimum 1L) food storage containers to take your food home in each week.
We use induction hobs at the cookery school so if you have a pacemaker fitted please get in contact with us when you have booked to let us know so we can adapt our equipment to meet your needs.
Refreshments are provided throughout, on all of our classes.
*Please note this is not an accredited, formal cookery qualification.
This course consists of 6 x 2.5 hour classes which are held at the same time each week for six consecutive weeks. Before booking this course please ensure that you can make all six classes. If you cannot make one of the classes please let us know in advance and we will email the recipe pack to you. You will not be able to transfer onto an alternative class and you will not be eligible for a refund on an individual class.
Before booking this class please familiarise yourself with our cancellation policy, especially if you are booking on the behalf of another person.
This course will be taught by one of our three resident chefs. Where possible, we aim to ensure you are taught by the same chef tutor for the duration your course.