Nordic BakingOn this all-day session you will journey deep into the wonderful world of Nordic baking, exploring the methods and traditions of Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark.
Location:Leeds Cookery School, Leeds, UK
Cost:£150.00 per person
About this experience
On this all-day session you will journey deep into the wonderful world of Nordic baking, exploring the methods and traditions of Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark.
Techniques you will learn:
- One-Dough, Four-Ways: you will master the art of the sweet Nordic dough, lightly spiced with a soft, fluffy crumb. During the session you will produce four varieties of Nordic buns: Norwegian Cinnamon Swirls (Skillingsboller), Swedish Cardamom Knots (Kardemummabullar), Finnish Butter Eye Buns (Voisilmäpulla), Easter Cream Buns (Semlor).
- Open Invitation: you will create a traditional Nordic rye crispbread - knäckebröd - with rustic and hearty wholegrain flavours. You will be introduced to the open-sandwich tradition - smørrebrød - with a range of delicious, flavourful toppings to be sampled for lunch!
- World’s Best Cake: you will produce a show-stopping, elegant Norwegian cream cake to end the day on a high! Affectionately referred to as ‘Verden’s Beste’, or ‘World’s Best Cake’, this stunning yet simple centrepiece cake consists of layered rich sponge, almond meringue, lingonberry jam and fresh cream.
In this class the recipes below, including ingredients list and method, are provided for you to take home to add to your repertoire so you can keep on cooking them time and time again.
- Danish Dream Cake (Drømmekage) OR Swedish Almond Toscakake (you can decide which to make on the day!)
- Swedish Cardamom Knots (Kardemummabullar)
- Finnish Butter Eye Buns (Voisilmäpulla)
- Swedish Easter Cream Buns (Semlor)
- Swedish Rye Crackerbreads (Knäckebröd)
- Norwegian Almond & Lingonberry Creamcake (Kvaefjordkake)
- Norwegian Cinnamon Swirls (Skillingsboller)
What you can take home
There is a tasting session after each class where you have the chance to sample the tutor’s version of each dish. You will also take home everything that you’ve made.
Please note that you you will need to bring a couple of sizeable (minimum 1L) food storage containers to take your food home in, we will provide all other equipment and ingredients.
Tea and coffee are provided throughout on all of our classes.