The Chicken Parmo MasterclassCreate this iconic takeaway dish from the North East of England, taught by the one who brought it to MasterChef, our own chef Anthony O'Shaughnessy
LocationLeeds Cookery School, Leeds, UK
Cost:£75.00 per person
About this experience
This humble, no-holds-barred masterpiece of fried chicken, béchamel sauce and cheddar cheese is a proud speciality of takeaways across the North East of England. The dish achieved notoriety nationwide after our own resident chef Anthony O'Shaughnessy presented the dish on BBC's MasterChef back in 2018. During this session, Anthony will share insight into the origin story behind this North East classic, along with executing the fundamental cooking techniques in creating the perfect Chicken Parmo in your own kitchen, along with plenty of irresistible side dishes. This is the perfect gift for the Teessider in your life or for any Teessider in exile!
Techniques you will learn:
- How to make a flawless Béchamel and we will demonstrate how to build upon a classic béchamel recipe to make exciting variations of the Chicken Parmo, along with some irresistible side dishes such as Teesside Creamed Cabbage!
- Learn how to bread, season and fry chicken to guarantee the crispiest, most satisfying results! We’ll share some basic insight into the science of deep-frying and how to make perfectly fried chicken.
- Learn the art of the perfect coleslaw! W
- Create the Pickled Red Cabbage Coleslaw that Anthony served with the Chicken Parmo on MasterChef.
- Delve into the local history of this famous North-East dish, including how it was made and how it is eaten today.
- Learn how to make the no-holds-barred garlic sauce that traditionally accompanies the Chicken Parmo in Teesside.
In this class you will receive the recipes for the dishes below, including ingredients list and method, are provided for you to take home to add to your repertoire so you can keep on cooking them time and time again.
- The Classic Teesside Chicken Parmo (a ‘Hot Shot’ option will be available!)
- Pickled Red Cabbage Coleslaw
- Teesside Creamed Cabbage
- Proper Garlic Sauce
And you will also sample Anthony's signature Beetroot Ketchup that he famously served with the Chicken Parmo on MasterChef.
What You Can Take Home:
You will create all of the dishes above to take home. There is a tasting session after each class where you have the chance to sample the tutor’s version of each dish. You will also take home everything that you’ve made.
Please note that you will need to bring a couple of sizeable (minimum 1L) food storage containers to take your food home in, we will provide all other equipment and ingredients.
We use induction hobs at the cookery school so if you have a pacemaker fitted please get in contact with us when you have booked to let us know so we can adapt our equipment to meet your needs.
Refreshments are provided throughout, on all of our classes.
Before booking this class please familiarise yourself with our cancellation policy, especially if you are booking on the behalf of another person.