6 Week Cooking Skills Course @ GiptonOur 6-week cookery course covers a wide range of cooking techniques and recipes to give you confidence in the kitchen.
Cost:£380.00 per person
If you aspire to be a culinary all-rounder then our 6-week Cookery Skills Course is for you! This course is designed for novice cooks looking to develop a wide range of cookery techniques*. You will leave the course with a repertoire of skills and recipes to carry on making at home.
THE COURSE WILL CONSIST OF 6x 2.5-HOUR SESSIONS HELD AT THE SAME TIME EACH WEEK FOR SIX CONSECUTIVE WEEKS.
What you will learn:
Week 1 - KNIFE SKILLS AND STIR-FRYING
- Learn how to correctly sharpen and correctly use a cook's knife.
- Master various classical chopping techniques.
- Learn stir-frying techniques.
Week 2 - BASIC CHICKEN BUTCHERY
- Learn how to bone and portion a whole chicken, using all of the parts.
- Discover the science and techniques behind marinating meat.
- Learn how to make an excellent fresh stock for use in a range of dishes.
Week 3 - FRESH PASTA AND SEASONAL SAUCES
- How to make the perfect pasta dough from scratch using the kneading and resting process.
- How to use a pasta machine and expertly roll, shape and dry your pasta for another day.
- Learn how to make an impressive Rosemary Focaccia.
Week 4 - CURRIES AND SPICE BLENDS
- Learn about spices and how to toast and temper them to season a dish.
- Learn a simple, foolproof method of cooking basmati rice.
- Make a stove-top chapati bread from scratch.
Week 5 - PREPARING FISH
- How to bone, scale, skin and fillet a seasonal fish.
- Learn about the sourcing and sustainability of fish.
- Prepare a seasonal dish that makes the most of the catch of the day.
Week 6 - SWEET PASTRY
- How to make, rest, roll and blind bake sweet pastry.
- Make a delectable sweet tart that makes the most of seasonal produce.
Full recipes including ingredients and method are provided for you to take home to add to your repertoire.
*Please note this is not an accredited, formal cookery qualification.
There is a tasting session after each class where you will have the chance to sample the tutor’s version of each dish.
We kindly ask that you bring 3 sizeable (minimum 1L) food storage containers to take your food home in. This helps us to save on costs and hence more money goes to our charity, Zest.
All ingredients are provided by the cookery school and are subject to availability of produce.
This course consists of 6 x 2.5 hour classes which are held at the same time each week for six consecutive weeks. Before booking this course please ensure that you can make all six classes. If you cannot make one of the classes please let us know in advance and we will email the recipe pack to you. You will not be able to transfer onto an alternative class and you will not be eligible for a refund on an individual class.
Please make sure to inform us of any allergies/dietary requirements when booking the class.
We use induction hobs at the cookery school so if you have a pacemaker fitted please get in contact with us when you have booked to let us know so we can adapt our equipment to meet your needs.
Before booking this class please familiarise yourself with our cancellation policy, especially if you are booking on the behalf of another person.
This course will be taught by one of our three resident chefs. Where possible, we aim to ensure you are taught by the same chef tutor for the duration your course.